Our mission at Hendrick Plastic Surgery & MedSpa is to help you enjoy the best possible results from your surgical procedures and aesthetic treatments with us, so we are always eager to provide tips to help speed your healing process and reduce your side effects and recovery time. While every person responds differently to treatment and there’s no way to predict your personal response, there are a few things you can control to boost your chances for success, like eating right and taking care of yourself.
Here’s what to avoid and what to do before and after your treatment to support your best results:
AVOID THESE THINGS:
- Foods and drink that thin the blood, increasing risk of bruising and swelling:
- omega 3 fatty acids
- green tea
- ginkgo biloba
- Smoking/vaping: Both impair your immune system and delay the healing process
- Intense exercise: Increases swelling and bleeding
- High-sodium diet: Increases water retention and swelling
- Sugar: Having high blood sugar before surgery increases your risk of developing blood clots, deep vein thrombosis and even pulmonary embolism.
DO THESE THINGS INSTEAD:
- Eat lean protein: Helps the healing process because it’s the building block of tissue
- Eat fiber-rich foods: Supports your digestive system, which slows after surgery
- Drink lots of water: Aids your digestive system and helps reduce bloating
- Use anti-inflammatory spices, including turmeric: Reduces inflammation
- Probiotics like yogurt, miso and fermented foods: Aids digestion, reduces inflammation
- Consume prebiotics like garlic, onion and sunchokes: To boost your immunity, which speeds healing
- Eat antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables (foods high in vitamins C, A and E):
- Vitamin C is important for skin and tissue healing and can be found in cauliflower
- red peppers
- berries and citrus fruits
Vitamins A and E neutralize free radicals so your cells can function optimally. You’ll find these antioxidants in spinach, broccoli, nuts, seeds and vegetable oils.
Of course, these lists are not exhaustive! We will share many more tips with you before your treatment to ensure your comfort and optimal results. Remember, our team is committed to your success and we will be here to support you every step of the way.