From all of us at Abilene Plastic Surgery & MedSpa, we hope you are able to stay healthy and safe during this uncertain time. Because most of us have probably not experienced a pandemic like this before, we wanted to share some tips and advice on how you can stay well and protect those who are more at risk, such as elderly and immunocompromised people. Together, we can help to slow and stop the spread of coronavirus! Here’s what you should know and how you can help:
How does COVID-19 spread?
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) explains that the virus is thought to spread from person-to-person between people who are less than 6 feet apart, and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. You can also contract the virus by touching an infected surface, and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes with the same hand. This is why it is extremely important for you to avoid touching your face.
The CDC’s recommendations for preventing the spread of coronavirus are:
● Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
● Using a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. But do not panic if you can’t find hand sanitizer because all the stores have sold out. Lathering up with soap and water is still the most effective way to prevent infection!
● Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
● Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
● Putting distance between yourself and other people. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
Other things you can do to help include staying home if you’re sick, covering coughs and sneezes, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily, such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, computer mouses and keyboards, your phone, toilets, faucets, the microwave buttons and refrigerator door handles, etc.
If you’re practicing social distancing, you might feel isolated, so be sure to stay connected to your loved ones. It’s always important to stay informed, but if you’re prone to anxiety, limit your exposure to the news or social media. You can also maintain your sense of balance and well-being by maintaining healthy habits like exercising and getting adequate sleep.
This probably seems like a lot of new habits to undertake, and some difficult ones to avoid, like touching your face, but most importantly, these are things we can control. If we work together, we can help keep ourselves and our neighbors healthy and safe!
Here at Abilene Plastic Surgery & MedSpa, please be assured that we are following all wellness protocols, including disinfecting all surfaces and treatment rooms between visits and screening patients before their appointments. If you have an upcoming appointment and you are not feeling well, please call us at 325.670.5320 and we’ll be happy to help you reschedule free of charge. Also feel welcome to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns!